17 April 2011

YO HO, YO HO, a Pirate's life for me!


Pirates.  I love them.  Now, don't you start assuming that I loooovvveee pirates because of Johnny Depp and the perpetual series of piratey films, because that is not why I find myself inextricably obsessed with them.  My reasons go a lot deeper than that.

I grew up practically living on the beach in central California (yay Santa Cruz!) and I've sort of always had a fascination with the idea of pirates.  I will admit this fascination was fueled a little bit by the film Goonies (because EVERYONE knows One-Eyed Willie is rad) and due to the fact that Pirates are romantic.  I don't care who you are, you can't argue with me on this one!
Anyway, I bought four more of the 20 x 16 canvases and knew I'd need another epic idea for what to fill them with.  Pirates seemed a natural choice because so far I've been painting things I loved.  Though I did want to paint this in the style of the fairy paintings, I didn't trust myself enough to pull it off without ruining the whole design.  So, cartoony it became!

As you can see, the "little cloud that could" is a little greyer than I originally was going to do, but he was just so darn cute and was trying so hard that I had to make him a little more menacing than a "bright fluffy white" would have allowed him to be.
So, my biggest hope is that this painting will inspire some child somewhere to be adventurous and silly.  Though (and I'm going against Pirate tradition here) WITHOUT the rum.
: )

No comments:

Post a Comment