20 March 2011

I do believe in fairies! I do! I do!

Alright, I will admit that for most of my life I have loved fairies.  When I was younger I was completely convinced that they existed and as I've grown, that belief has become more of an extreme fondness.  There was always something so magical about the idea of tiny winged people hiding just beyond our vision that I couldn't get enough of.  It all started with a woman I've fondly referred to as Aunt Marilyn (though we're not related) for as long as I can remember.

Aunt Marilyn lives in a little red house buried deep in the redwoods of central California and whenever my family would drive out to visit she'd have my brothers and I out in the trees searching for leprechauns and fairies and other magical creatures that supposedly lived beneath the ferns.  Now that I'm older I know the real reason she sent us searching was to get us out of the house so she and my Mother could talk in peace.  However, my introduction of the world of the fay has taught me so many life lessons that I have to believe Marilyn saw something greater in sending us out to find it.  Fairies taught me to dream and set goals and search unrelentingly until I find what I'm looking for.  They have always been a source of creative inspiration for me and I have no doubt they always will be.

There were times when I even built (or tried my hardest to build) suitable fairy houses nestled in the roots of trees using pebbles and twigs and discarded maple leaves.  I was convinced that if I made a house nice enough then a perfectly lovely fairy would move in.  Well, I don't know if there ever were any tenants in my sorry little buildings, but that never stopped me from continuing to try and design the very best structure I could conceive.  That may just be where my desire to paint this set came from.

Here's what I came up with:










In case you're wondering, I named the fairy Fiona.  It was the first name that came to mind when my Mom asked me.  Obviously the painting style is different from the previous two.  I was trying to see if I could do something that was more realistic and I think it turned out okay.  In all honesty, this was the most difficult painting I've done so far.  It was really hard for me to remember that it was okay to make mistakes because I could just paint over it.  After a little over 20 hours of work (from design and conception to final product) I sighed with relief to see that I hadn't made a total mess of things even though I had expected to.  I can't even tell you what it felt like to see it finished.  Just...really good.

So, I've decided that I might be okay at this whole painting business.  Now hopefully my luck, skill, imagination, and desire hold out.

: )

No comments:

Post a Comment