22 March 2011

HOOAH!

The title of this post is appropriate in more than one way.  For one, these paintings were my very first commissioned set and for another, they are US Army themed!

My friend Kristee has one of the handsomest little boys in the world and his daddy is proudly serving in the US Army.  The nursery in their house was pretty neutral and Kristee hadn't yet settled on a theme, but because one of the very creative ladies she works with had painted an American flag stool for the room with "Digi Camo" on the legs, she had a pretty good idea of where she wanted to go with the design.  She contacted me and asked if I'd be willing to create an Army themed set of 8x8's and I jumped at the opportunity to FINALLY have a chance to do something by request.  (Since, you know, it's a really good challenge.)  Anyway, I got right to work with sketching but was quickly halted when I realized I knew next-to-nothing about the Army and therefore had no idea what to paint.  Thank heaven for the internet!

I pretty much stalked the Army website and other helpful sites for any information I could find.  After all, I had to paint something that correctly represented the Army; colors, designs, vehicles, and all.  It took a lot longer than I intended it to, but I was finally able to come up with something that I knew would work.





Now, I'm well aware the Army doesn't take green gear and equipment into the brown desert all that often, but an all brown set wouldn't have been that engaging.  Anyway, I'm actually quite proud of these paintings.  The little jeep is by far my favorite though.  It took quite a bit of research to make sure I had it right (the number on the front is even a legitimate number from one I found in a photo).  Oh, and all of the pockets and badges on the handsome officer are correct too.  He's even wearing a miniature painted version of Kristee's husband's beret!

But my favorite parts are the tiny snake and itty-bitty scorpion!

: )

No comments:

Post a Comment